02 June 2011

healthy living


Ever since I got back from the States, I decided to voluntarily put myself on a detox. I know I've eaten quite a good amount of unhealthy food in very generous servings, hence the major weight gain. :( And now that I'm back home, I've resorted to only eating fruits during dinner and would occasionally eat more for special reasons. :P

I decided to have dragon fruit, strawberries, oranges, bananas and a glass of pomegranate juice. The juice was my mom's influence on me, she started drinking it everyday and I have learned to love it! I drink more than a glass a day! I also started doing research and found out that dragon fruit (some countries call it pitaya or pitahaya) is rich in vitamin C and fiber! It looks quite scary if you ask me, but it tastes pretty good. I first tried it when I was on vacation in Vietnam. The black seeds in the fruit looked a lot like black sesame seeds and made me even more curious about the fruit. To my dismay though, this dragon fruit I purchased at S&R Alabang was very bland! I was very disappointed, to think they sold it for almost $4 USD for two pieces.
And since I've started to grow fonder of pomegranate juice, I have decided to do some research as well. There are 11 benefits for drinking this juice:
  • Fights breasts cancer
  • Lung cancer prevention
  • Slows prostate cancer
  • Keeps PSA levels stable
  • Protects neonatal brain
  • Osteoarthritis prevention
  • Protects arteries
  • Alzheimer's Disease prevention
  • Lowers cholesterol
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Dental protection
For the complete guide to pomegranate juice benefits, read this. Next up, strawberries. I didn't know strawberries has a lot of benefits to your body! I'm glad I love strawberries! So the benefits/components are:
  • Dietary Fiber
  • Antioxidants
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Anti-cancer
  • Give healthier eyes
  • Vitamin C
  • Manganese
  • Potassium
I purchased everything at S&R Alabang, except the bananas. I have to say though that the quality of the fruits I got (especially the dragon fruit and strawberries) were very bad. Or maybe the ones I picked up. The strawberries were too sour and tart so I had to eat it with the bananas. I picked up Driscolls because it's the brand I always get when I was in the States. Too bad though because the taste is totally different. On the upside though, the oranges were sweet! 
Such a disappointment. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment